Tips for job seeking
Helpful advice to guide you along your journey.
The journey towards finding a meaningful job can sometimes be a long one. As your employment support partner, we’re here to give you a helping hand in navigating the ups and downs of job hunting, starting with ten useful tips to keep you motivated.
- Learn about yourself – Before starting your job search, take time to reflect on your strengths and interests and the type of work you’d like to do. The better you know yourself, the more likely you are to find a job that ticks your boxes.
- Do your research – Make sure to stay on top of job openings and to gather as much information as you can to help you source opportunities and prepare for interviews.
- Update your resume – It’s important to tailor both your cover letter and resume to suit the job you are applying for. Just remember, we can help you with this.
- Practice interview skills – Research common interview questions and develop responses for these that highlight your suitability for the role. Practice your answers with your Employer Consultant in an interview rehearsal session.
- Stay motivated – We understand that job hunting can be difficult, so it’s important to stay positive and look after yourself. Eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly, get plenty of rest, and reach out to family and friends if you need extra support.
- Tell your stories – When you’re asked specific questions in a job interview, share stories of your own personal experiences to help show how you handled specific situations and how this shaped you along the way.
- Be realistic – It’s important to remember that every job has its ups and downs. There will be things you love about it, and things you don’t – so be prepared for that.
- Keep on learning – Always try to keep an open mind about learning new skills or taking on challenges. Consider courses or training that can help you develop your skills while you’re job hunting.
- Be patient and persistent – Job searching is a job in itself, and can be hard work. Make sure to celebrate the little victories along the way and be kind to yourself.
- Involve your support network – Our team at Edge, along with your family and friends, are ready to support you at every stage. Make sure to ask for help if you need it, or to simply share your progress along the way.
Ready to put these tips into practice? If so, we’re ready to help you, whether you need help on your resume, interview skills, additional training or more. To get started, contact our team today.
Are you ready to find the right job?
Download our useful Job Seeker Guide and begin your Edge journey.Download eBook